- Las Vegas has no reason for being there except for one thing…the power of imagination
- Imagination has the power to bring into mind things that aren’t there or seem possible
- with imagination, you can anticipate the future and if you can anticipate the future then you can help influence it
- creativity is not the same as imagination
- creativity means you have to cdo something…it’s applied imagination
- innovation is simply putting good ideas into practice
- in the 50’s & 60’s the world was different. If you worked hard, went to school, got a college education, then you would have a job for life. At that time formal education was a guarantee for success [not anymore]
- cultures evolve. For those born around World War I, the world was very different then [as it is now]
- because of imagination we are in a constant state of revolution.
- this revolution is now moving at a faster rate than it has ever moved before
- to make sense of this revolution, we have to think differently about ourselves. Those who are in “their element” love what they do, have a natural knack for something
- being good at something isn’t reason enough to do it, it’s about having a feeling for it
- most organizations have a narrow vision of the talent around them
- we need to have different strategies to manage and inspire…imaginative possibilities
- Sir Ken’s work is to promote higher levels of creativity in an organization and which leads organizations to become systematically innovative
- you can teach people to be more creative
- creativity is the process of having original ideas with value. It’s a process, not an event. It’s material…people love the material ie. painters love ink, dancers love movement. It’s also about critical judgement
- The way that Radio, TV & the Internet transformed culture, social media is now too
- Creative people are everywhere. Anything that involves intelligence can be creative. Creativity can be promoted
- This revolution is not over. Its just begun
- Today, computers have the brain equivalent to that of a cricket. In 10 years, they will have the brain of a 6 month old baby. At some point we’ll reach singularity, whereby infomation systems will merge with our own minds
- A study was done to examine our rate of learning. It did so by starting to redefining what a genius is, then test a large group of children early in life and then retest the same group as they grew older.
- if we were to redefine genius from a high IQ score to that of a person with a high capacity of Divergent Thinking (the ability to see multiple options to a single problem) ie. how many uses can you think of for a paperclip? This study found that…
- 98% of 3-5 year olds were considered genius
- by the time these kids were between 8-10 years old, 32% were
- and by the time they were between 13-15 years old, only 10% were
- in a similar study of 25+ year olds, only 2% of adults are considered Genius by this divergent thinking methodology
Promoting Creativity is a 3 phase process
- people with ideas
- everyone should explore their own talents and invest in them
- Manage and facilitate teams
- find connections between teams and disciplines
- foster a culture of originality
- make it a habit & create the habitat for creativity
- eliminate the creativity spoiler
How are you creative? What brings you alive?
- in Math Phd defenses, Doctors of Math evaluate a defense based on 2 criteria. 1. creativity 2. Beauty of the solution.
- just as in nature, beauty is an informal test of truth
- intelligence is fantastically diverse
How are you intelligent? Have you done an audit on your company’s intelligence?
- By most accounts, Death Valley is dead.
- seeds of possibility exist right below the surface and when conditions are right, life abounds.
- However, if conditions are not right, life protects itself hidden away from view
Anais Nin -“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom”